So you’ve decided it’s time for you to get your business online. Here are things to do for your web site while choosing who’ll create it for you.
For Your Web Site
- Write a paragraph quickly describing your business to put on the home page
- Write a detailed description of your business for your About Us page. Basically just expand on point one.
- Hunt down that file of your logo and if possible get the editable version (e.g. the PSD file)
- If your logo has a fancy font, try and find out what it is called
- If you’re going to be selling products on your web site, put your product list in a spreadsheet as this will save you time and money when it comes to adding them into your web site. An example of the spreadsheet headers is Product #, Product Name, Short Description, Long Description, Length, Width, Height, Weight, Price
- Correlate all the photos of your products and rename the files to the product id, as this will also save time and money when adding them to the products page.
- Re-size all your product images so they are all the same size. I recommend using a program called ImageMagick as you can change the photo and canvass size of all your photos in one hit. (Though make a backup before you do this)
For Your Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Write a description of your business in 150 characters or less
- Come up with 10 to 20 keywords that you think people will use when trying to find your business online
- Think of page titles and headings for your site that can take advantage of your keywords
To promote your web site
- Create accounts with Google+, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, so you can promote the launch of your site and let people know when you have special offers etc.
- Have a think if you want to use Google Adwords or Yahoo Search Marketing to get your new web site on the first page of search results.
- Put your web site address on all your print material, e.g. business cards, letter heads.
There are many other things that need to be done before your site goes live but the 13 points above will get you moving in the right direction.
Oh, before I forget, look at your competitors web sites and note down what you like and dislike about them.
Till next time,